Sunday, January 25, 2015

Module 2 Review 1 - Millions of cats

Millions of cats / by Wanda Gag. 


Bibliographic Citation:

Gag, W. (1928). Millions of cats. New York, NY: G.P. Putnam’s Sons.

Summary:

In Millions of Cats, a very old man and a very old woman cannot be happy because they are lonely. The very old woman believes they will be happy if only they had a cat. The very old man sets out to find a cat for the very old woman. He comes to a hill covered with “hundreds of cats, thousands of cats, millions and billions and trillions of cats” (Gag, 1928). The very old man cannot pick just one cat and they all follow him home. The very old woman says they cannot afford to keep all the cats, so they let the cats decide which one will stay. All the cats fight over which one is the prettiest. When the fighting is over, there is only one little cat left. It was a homely little cat, but with love and care from the very old man and very old woman, it turned into the prettiest cat.

Impressions:

The illustrations are black and white, which may not be attention-grabbing for children. However, the repetition in the phrasing and the relatable subject might. The book is about the very old man choosing a cat for the very old woman. Many children have cats, or pets, and can relate to picking out the perfect pet to take home.
Library Use Suggestions:

I would use this book with younger students, beginning with asking students who has pet cats and what they look like. After reading the book, I would provide students will an outline of a cat and give students the opportunity to decorate it according what the cat they would choose would look like. 

Reviews:

More nostalgia. This one, I remember reading to myself when I was very small when we would go to my great-grandmother’s house. She had some old books in her bookcase, and I know I read this one more than once. Since then, I read it to my own sons, and I still love using it in storytime. That refrain is unforgettable, and I love getting kids to chant along with me, “Hundreds of cats, thousands of cats, millions and billions and trillions of cats!” – Sondra Eklund

E. Bird. (2012, June 11). Top 100 picture books #21: Millions of cats. [Blog post]. Retrieved on January 25, 2015 from http://blogs.slj.com/afuse8production/2012/06/11/top-100-picture-books-21-millions-of-cats-by-wanda-gag/#_


No comments:

Post a Comment